Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Until Next Time

I am truly at a loss for words. After over a year of hard work, the trip is over, and I’m sitting at home in Chicago for the first time in three months. The past year was exhausting but exhilarating. It’s crazy to think that in one year, we created a student group, raised hundreds of dollars, maintained contact with Roosevelt Hospital, received hands-on equipment training, researched and attended lectures, and organized and then executed a two-week trip for a group of five students. I could not be happier with the outcome of the trip and do not regret a single moment I spent working on WUGI this year (even the ones that resulted in three hours of sleep). It’s embarrassing to admit, but I’ve come close to tears while reflecting on the trip and the potential for the upcoming year. The trip was an absolute success, and we accomplished everything we set out to do and more.
During the past two weeks, we not only worked on equipment repair and assessment but also began new projects, started new partnerships, explored the beauty of the country and met incredible people. The residents, UVG students, doctors and staff all went above and beyond our expectations in welcoming us to Guatemala.
Special thanks to Dr. Carlos Tapia and all the residents
            It is hard not to compare this trip to last year. Looking back at the final blog post from last year’s trip was particularly powerful. After spending only a week at Roosevelt, I left passionate, motivated and ready to continue making a difference at the hospital. I was determined to return and, as I say, I had “caught the bug.” Prior to this trip I really wasn’t sure how the group would react to the hospital, the conditions, our living arrangements, or just the general environment of Guatemala City- I truly hoped that they would leave feeling just as determined to return and sustain our work as I was. My wish has been granted, and I think everyone has truly fallen in love with the country.  Having a group of passionate engineers with me in Guatemala, learning about Roosevelt, the country and the conditions was a blessing. There was nothing better than hearing the group talk to staff about returning. Everyone would always ask us when we were planning our next trip. Every time I heard someone in the group promise to return or insist that the trip meant more to them than a two week trip to Central America was truly heartening.
            I want WUGI to continue to grow and make a true impact on Roosevelt Hospital, for WashU engineering students and now for La Universidad del Valle. Our work will never end but that’s part of the beauty of the program-we can sculpt WUGI however we would like. As mentioned in other posts, we want to expand our equipment work to UNICAR and INCAN and to also start working on larger projects such as an organizational database and equipment design. There are many paths to accomplish our one true goal: to use engineering thinking and technology to support and enhance Roosevelt Hospital in a sustainable and impactful way.


Carlos just sent me some pictures of Mainor, the respiratory therapist using the ventilator Kelsey and I spent the majority of a day or two on. It's working well, and, as Carlos insisted in his typical upbeat and supportive way, “U see! Your hard work is saving people!!!!”
Mainor using one of the newly repairs vents in the ICU

1 comment:


  1. The professionals that are salivating ... as he says ... I don't think np's desire such patients as much as they are perhaps better equipped to care for these patients! I get excited when I get consults on patients that the doctors are asking me to manage because they simply have exhausted their tool box ... This is difficult to control symptoms ... and difficult families and psychosocial issues ... as well as undecided families as far as their goals of care. So ... I suppose I salivate at the chance to say -- hey this recommendation is what you need!
    ALOKA UST-9124

    ReplyDelete